Total Pageviews

Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Empenadas and Panama

There are a few people from Costa Rica who work in my office, and often we talk about the food from their country. I wanted to make empenadas, which I learned are also a food of Panama, where my brother is working now. One weekend I made this meal, and as often happens, Travis' friend Steve came over. I don't know how he knows, but on the rare occasions that I cook, he seems to be here, which I am happy about because he likes to eat whatever I cook. Travis does too! I'm happy when people like what I cook!
chicken filling

dough




  
 Here is the final dish, served with chayotes, black beans, fried plantains, rice and tomatoes, and dipping sauce made with sour cream, lime juice and chili powder. I really enjoy creating a colorful meal, trying new things, and spending time in the kitchen... that is when I have the luxury of time. I don't like to be pressured or in a hurry, in fact when I am in a hurry I just cannot seem to cook. Today, I am so thankful for my husband, who is so efficient with time and a wonderful cook. He gets home from work before me, so he usually makes dinner during the week, and I try to cook on the weekends. We use the crock-pot, too, and hopefully someday the boys will cook for us. That's my next project!  And, who knows, maybe - just maybe, we can actually travel to Panama to visit Ricardo, and have empenadas in Panama!!

No comments:

Post a Comment